An industry leader in the automotive repair space was considering renovating their existing multimodal app they had with us. A multimodal app simply is an application or website that utilizes both touch and voice interactions simultaneously.
My team was tasked with redesigning the multimodal experience.
We recognized it felt as if the voice and visuals were slapped together, rather than molded to be one. In addition to being disjointed, the aesthetics were outdated and needed to be improved.
At the start of the project, we:
Review of performance data showed that 28% of users dropped off the call at the start of the multimodal journey. Additionally, the completion rate of 17% meant that less than 1 of every 5 callers completed the journey successfully.
Informed and inspired by the findings, we had a better idea of the target we were aiming for.
With the wealth of knowledge on hand, we began exploring different ideas for multimodal with wireframes. They went through rounds of critique and internal review.
The feedback received was then processed and led us to make various improvements. The concepts evolved into medium-fidelity mockups and we dove more into details of the interactions. Lastly, they would undergo another round of internal review.
Once the top selection of ideas were picked, high-fidelity mockups were created. After several iterations of peer review and polishing, we ended with four core designs.
To test our hypotheses, we turned the top concepts into interactive prototypes and put them through usability studies with 18 total participants.
We analysed the strengths and weaknesses of three designs. The results validated some beliefs, highlighted system flaws and led to minor interface tweaks.
Once we presented the final designs to the client, they were sold and ready to begin development.
From project kickoff, I served as the Design Lead, while also stepping up as Scrum Master and Project Manager to help keep the project on target. I collaborated with developers, designers, and project managers from both sides of the aisle for design decisions and documentation. Internally, I pushed everyone to ensure we were prepared for every stand-up meeting and delivering stellar services.
The key to the successes all stem from constant communication, transparency, as well as managing expectations. At the end of the quarter, I received a Bravo Award for my contributions and dedication.
After working with peers on various client projects, I noticed several bottlenecks in our IVR (Interactive Voice Response) development process. This need drove me to identify solutions to rectify this situation.
Developing and maintaining IVR systems for a client requires a handful of manual processes that devour man-hours. IVR Designers, Software Developers, Quality Assurance and Content Managers were all victims to the painpoints of the process.
To clearly define product requirements, I started with a variety of user research methods.
The first step of the investigation was user interviews among the 4 departments involved in product development. In total, I interviewed 10 different users to gain insights into the steps of the development process.
In addition to the interviews and contextual inquiry, I ran a survey to add quantitative data to my reservoir of knowledge. Eventually, eighteen peers ended up taking the survey. These results mixed with the interview data prepared me for ideation and exploration.
With markers, a dry erase wall and post-its, I went to town. Content is king, so I applied the Object Oriented UX (OOUX) principles to define the system's objects and their relations. These object definitions helped to define the interface components and the design language the different teams would use.
Next was turning these abstract definitions into visible concepts. Once the concepts were ready for review, we evaluated them with internal design reviews and heuristic evaluation. With the feedback and help from our Visual Designer, we turned the wireframes into high fidelity mockups.
To quickly test our hypotheses, I did cognitive walkthroughs with three participants using the mockups. These tests gave insight into the features and functionality that were flawed or missing. Ultimately, the users were delighted with the interface and psyched to start using the real thing.
In the end, we presented our solution to upper management, potential users, and other stakeholders. It was well received and garnered a lot of promising feedback. We had one user become a champion for our design, spreading only favorable views.
The designs have been delivered to management and is awaiting the start of development.
I interviewed 6 coworkers from other teams to pinpoint bottlenecks and pain-points of the data processing cycle and identify ways to remove them.
I spent a year at the race track with motorcyclists to determine how to improve their experience on the track. The project went through five iterations before identifying a standalone GPS tracker as the most sought-after solution.
Yes, like the boxer, but I'm not Sugar Shane. Although that might be cool. But that's besides the point. You're here to know about me and my work.
I was that kid that drove his parents crazy with a million-and-one questions daily. Somehow, my parents survived, but so has my desire to challenge everything. I am never content with the status quo and always looking for innovative ways to solve problems.
In one line - I'm a Georgia Tech MS-HCI graduate that lives to create things that matter.
Say firstname.lastname@example.org when you're ready to take your project to the next level.See Resume